Steve has helped countless customers boat hundreds of Nebraska Master Angler fish over the years, including largemouth and smallmouth bass, northern pike, walleye, channel and flathead catfish, tiger muskie, white bass, wiper, and crappie.
From 1996 to 2015, Steve and his clients have boated an astonishing 8,000 Nebraska Master Anglers!
Since 1994, Steve Lytle and his clients caught or tied a Nebraska state record wiper seven times. The record chase began with Kirk Ulray's 13 lbs. 14 oz. fish in April 1994. Steve caught the current state record, a 20 lbs. 1 oz. monster, on August 1, 1999 from Red Willow Reservoir. While Steve has become a highly successful and renowned wiper angler and guide, his angling experience extends well beyond this tremendous trophy species.
Steve is a native of McCook, NE. He started fishing for fun with his brothers as a kid. His interest in fishing intensified in 1983 when he joined the Lincoln County Bass Club in North Platte. He earned their "Mr. Bass" title by catching the most total pounds of bass in club tournaments in 1983 and 1984.
In 1985 he placed 2nd in the Nebraska State Federation tournament on Grand Lake of the Cherokees in Oklahoma. He successfully competed in divisional B.A.S.S. federation tournaments in 1985 and 1986. He also had several top 10 finishes on the Great Plains circuit. Steve gained valuable experience while competing on lakes and rivers in Missouri, Arkansas and Louisiana.
Steve began fishing professionally in 1987 on the B.A.S.S. and U.S. Bass tournament circuits. His best efforts included 17th and 19th place finishes during separate tournaments on famed Lake Sam Rayburn in Texas. Steve compiled numerous other top 50 finishes during his six years as a touring pro.
He began guiding part-time from 1983 to 1992. In 1993, Steve began his full-time guiding career in southwest Nebraska. His fishing experience and dedication have really paid off for clients who enjoyed many amazing fishing days over the years. Nobody works harder to insure his customers have their finest fishing experience and go home completely exhausted. And when it comes to catching big fish, Steve's results are second to none.
Steve is widely recognized as one of the state's most knowledgeable and accomplished anglers. Spend a day on the water with him and you'll see first-hand why he has gained such respect.
Steve's Boat & Gear
- Boat: 2017 Crestliner 1950 Fish Hawk - Length: 19' 6" Beam: 101"
- Boat Motor: 2017 Evinrude E-TEC G2 150 H.O. with Electric Start, Integrated Digital Shift and Throttle Control, Remote Integrated Hydraulic Steering/Dynamic Power Steering, and Power Trim and Tilt
- Trolling Motor: 2017 Minn Kota Ultrex Trolling Motor - 112 lbs. Thrust, 36 Volts, i- Pilot Link, Reinvented Spot-Lock with Jog, Integrated GPS Technology, Power Steering Ultrex Foot Pedal, Steering Lock, Lift- Assist, Counter-Tension Stabilizer, Weedless Wedge 2 Prop, and Universal Sonar 2 Transducer.
- Sonars: 2017 Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega Si GPS G2N and Helix 9 Chirp GPS G2N - Combo with Ethernet Networking, Humminbird Mapping + i-Pilot Link, Built -In Bluetooth, and LakeMaster maps.
Steve's Largest Catches
- Hybrid Striper (Wiper) – 20 lbs. 1 oz. (Current Nebraska State Record)
- Largemouth Bass - 9 lbs. 7 oz.
- Smallmouth bass – 5 lbs. 12 oz.
- Walleye - 13 lbs. 3 oz.
- Crappie – 3 lbs. 9 oz.
- Northern Pike – 26 lbs. 14 oz.
- White Bass – 3 lbs. 8 oz.
- Channel catfish – 33 lbs.
- Flathead catfish – 70 lbs.